Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Capturing the Moments


Yesterday I realized that I wish I could capture every moment with Leah so that I could re-live them years later. She's growing by leaps and bounds now, and her little personality is really starting to shine. Our eight-month-old (as of yesterday!) is quite the explorer, which is why I wish I could capture every moment. Here are just two moments (from yesterday) I wish I could re-live daily:

Leah has discovered the bottom shelf of the bookcase that's in our kitchen, so I recently moved some non-breakables to it (I thought that might be better than letting her play with the ceramic mixing bowls that had resided there). One of those items is a tin of recipes... and Leah LOVES it. She'll crawl over and pull it off the shelf so that she can "drive" it on the floor. So yesterday, I was sitting at the kitchen table writing while Leah was playing with "her" tin; soon it became strangely quiet (anyone with a baby knows that type of quiet), prompting me to turn (after all, Leah's also started venturing down the hallway or into the living room). There was my baby girl, pulling herself up on top of the tin. She had managed to hoist her upper body onto the tin and was trying to stand (oh, have I mentioned before that standing is her new favorite activity? She can't do so on her own, but she will with our help). Scott, who was in the family room, and I just watched her, cheering her on to success (yes, we're crazy, and no, she didn't quite make it all the way up). If only I could re-live that moment.

Later that evening, Scott and I were eating dinner and Leah was entertaining herself in the family room (for those of you who don't know, our family room and kitchen are basically one big room, so it's not like Leah was unsupervised). Anyway, as most of you know, Leah loves exploring underneath the end table. Well, that's the one on the right side of the room. She hasn't really expressed an interest in the one of the left until now. Up until recently, there were two packages of diapers (unopened) stacked underneath it, thus preventing our little adventurer from getting very far. That wasn't the case yesterday. While we were eating dinner, I happened to glance into the family room only to see a little panda butt sticking out from underneath the end table. The little bugger had climbed onto the one package of diapers and was trying to make her way completely underneath the table! Scott and I both laughed out loud, as I rushed over to redirect her curiosity, but not before I snapped a picture. When I sat down next to Leah, she looked at me and grinned. She was so proud of herself!
Now that's a moment that will always bring a smile to my face.


No comments: